Car Accident Attorney Charlotte, NC
Car owners spend a lot of money on car insurance so they can be compensated in the case of an injury or the unfortunate event that results in an accident. Car Insurance covers major liability costs, however, this is based on the coverage plan. Investing in car insurance is a smart idea however in certain scenarios filing for a claim can get tricky. They also try to save every penny they can after you have been paying them your premiums for years. This is where an experienced car accident attorney at Schehr Law PLLC can help.
One of the best ways to claim damages caused due to a car accident is to hire a car accident attorney. Many accident victims are skeptical about hiring a car accident attorney because of the fees involved. Here is a look at some of the benefits these car accident attorneys can bring to the table.
The most common types of accidents that happen every day on the roads are car accidents. Nowadays nearly everyone has an automobile at home which means there are many cars on the road every day, at all times. A huge number of people are killed and injured in a car accident every year. According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation, vehicle fatalities are up 3 1/2 percent over North Carolina’s five year average.
Although Covid-19 has kept more people off of the roadways, fatalities are actually up. If you were the pedestrian, passenger or driver involved in the car accident, you might be entitled to get compensation for injury, suffering, or pain that was caused due to a car accident not involving your fault.
Detailed Knowledge And Understanding Of Law
For a layperson, it would be very difficult to describe the nature of the accident and how the claim amount can be increased. Car accident attorneys have a lot of experience in this area and manage to file for a higher claim because they take into consideration every little detail that may be ignored by the victim.
One of the worst things when filing a claim is to wait for a long time before receiving the amount. This is because the victim would have recovered by this time and the car would have also been repaired. Since the situation changes, the insurance company would not pay attention to the claim and may even reduce the amount on the basis that the injuries are healed and the vehicle has already been repaired.
Victims of a car accident often spend a lot of time in the hospital and don’t have a lot of time to file for a claim or follow up with the insurance company. Involving a car accident attorney at this stage is the smartest thing to do because they gather evidence, collate medical bills, and other expenses such as car repairs. They then file it all together and submit it to the insurance company with strong supporting evidence. Their experience comes in handy when they twist the arm of the insurance company in getting the claim out faster.
Car Accident Lawyer Charlotte, NC
Charlotte Car Accident LawyerIf you or a loved one is involved in a car accident in or near Charlotte, it is imperative that you contact a car accident lawyer in Charlotte, NC. At Schehr Law PLLC, we understand the struggles of being involved in a car accident. The injuries, enormous medical bills, lost wages from work, and pain and suffering are all weighing on your shoulders. Not only have you been through a traumatic experience, but insurance adjusters are calling you nonstop for information. The last thing you want to deal with after an accident is talking to an insurance company. Car accident cases are extremely complex and hiring a skilled Charlotte, NC car accident lawyer is highly advised. If you have been involved in a car accident, give Schehr Law, PLLC a call today so we can get you the compensation you deserve. Now; there are many reasons why car accidents end up happening. For example; one of the reasons why car accidents take place, and one of the main factors, pertains to how careless people are on the road. Examples of this, pertain to road rage, heavy traffic, people speeding and not looking where other drivers are going or not paying attention to the rules of the road, and more. For example, it is first important to talk about road rage. Road rage is when a driver is careless on the road and ends up being aggressive toward other drivers. For example; someone who is carrying out road rage may be the kind of person who turns carelessly onto a busy street hurting civilians, while other times, road rage might be something else that is serious, such as tailgating. Tailgating is when an aggressive driver wants a driver ahead of them to speed up, and because of this, the individual drives close to the driver in front of them, as a means to try and get the individual to speed up. The problem with tailgating and why it is an example of a potential accident is that if the driver ahead has to make a sudden stop, the driver behind will not have time to stop. Thus, an accident will occur. Moreover, when it comes to speeding, there are those that may try to run through a red light, because they are in a hurry, or they attempt to cut someone off, run through a stop sign, and more.
Table Of Contents:
- What to do After Being Involved in a Car Accident
- Types of Accident Cases
- Charlotte Car Accident Law Infographic
- 10 Tips for Preventing Car Accident Injuries in Charlotte, NC
- Charlotte Car Accident Law FAQs
- Charlotte Car Accident Law Statistics
- Roads and Highways With Higher Accident Rates In Charlotte
- Schehr Law, PLLC Charlotte Car Accident Lawyer
- How Our Car Accident Attorneys Can Help You in Charlotte, NC Car Accident Attorney Representation In Court
- Medical Examinations
- Contact a Car Accident Attorney at Schehr Law PLLC Today
What to do After Being Involved in a Car AccidentIf you or someone you know has been involved in a car accident, it is important that you take action immediately. Here are some steps to take after being involved in a car accident:
Contact Law Enforcement ImmediatelyContacting law enforcement after an accident is imperative to start an evidence trial. If you are able to call for help, you should tell the officer everything you know about the accident. If done properly, the officer will be able to draft an accurate crash report. This crash report is valuable in determining who is at fault in the case. If you do not speak English, requesting an officer to the scene who speaks your language is an option that should be taken.
Take Photographs and VideosIf you are able to, take evidentiary photographs and videos of the accident scene. This evidence should include your vehicle, the other driver’s vehicle, the road surface, the location of the accident, your bodily injuries, and any other evidence that may be important. If you are injured and unable to take pictures, ask a friend or loved one to take the pictures. This evidence is paramount in building your case. Insurance companies and juries want to see a lot of photographic evidence.
Seek Treatment ImmediatelyIf you have been injured or believe you have been injured in the accident, go to the emergency room as soon as possible. This step is the most important as your health and safety are the number one priority. If you do not feel pain immediately after the accident, it may be smart to go get checked out depending on the severity of the property damage. If you do not immediately feel pain, but begin to experience pain later after the crash, go seek help immediately. Being seen and treated by a doctor or physician provides a paper trail to the accident. The more evidence we can provide the other side, the stronger your case will be. Moreover, it is also important for people to seek treatment immediately, because of injuries that may not be seen visibly, which can have a major effect over time, in relation to physical health. An example of this would be whiplash. This is when an individual gets a neck injury after a car accident, and injuries are not visible or felt until later. If a person waits too late to get assessed, in order to see if there are any fractures or injuries, whiplash may be incurable. This is why seeking treatment immediately when it comes to a car accident, is essential.
Keep a DiaryAs time goes on after the accident, you may begin to forget the details. For example, you may be treating multiple different doctors. You want to ensure that you keep accurate dates of treatment. You may begin to forget accident details. Keeping a journal will allow you to look back and show a jury that you remember important details about the car accident.
Requesting a Car Accident Report in North Carolina
Types of Accident Cases
- Rear end collision – a rear end collision, is when a car is hit from the back, due to a driver tailgating, a driver failing to put on the brakes in time and hitting a car in front of them, and more.
- T-bone accident – a T-bone accident, is when a car collides with the side of another vehicle.
- Head-on collision – This is when two cars directly collide with each other, through a full frontal collision.
- Sideswipes – A sideswipe, is when a driver ends up scraping the side of a car (such as when they move to a different lane too soon), and there is scratch damage.
- Drunk driving accidents – Drunk driving accidents occur when one is driving under the influence, and end up getting into an accident, because of their lack of stability on the road.
- Uber/Lyft accidents – These are similar to car accidents, except they are uber and Lyft related, causing the uber or Lyft driver to be responsible for their actions.
- Trucking accidents – these accidents are often caused by trucks failing to make wide enough turns, not seeing cars below them, and more.
- Catastrophic injuries – These injuries refer to life-threatening injuries, such as those that cause internal bleeding, head injuries that leave one in a coma, and more.
- Wrongful death – These involve death-related incidents in car crashes, which one can end up suing for.
- Texting and driving – On the road, it is important to keep focus. With that said, texting while driving can be very distracting, and it can cause accidents, due to people not being aware of cars moving on, the need to slow down on a busy lane, and more.
- Distracted driving – This is similar to texting and driving, where an individual may be distracted by an activity they are doing in the car, with a consequence being that they end up getting into an accident.
- Failure to yield – Failure to yield, is when an individual (such as at a stop sign), fails to yield to other drivers and tries to jump ahead, causing an accident.
- Failure to reduce speed – Failure to reduce speed for certain streets (such as those where kids are walking to school), can have consequences, such as pedestrians being hit. It is important to always take road speed into consideration.
- Failure to keep a proper lookout – Drivers on the road can be unpredictable. As such, it is important to keep an eye out for drivers, beyond the basic rules of the road.
- Reckless driving accidents – Reckless driving accidents often happen, because of people are careless on the road, such as through road rage, speeding and not taking others into consideration, and more.
Charlotte Car Accident Law Infographic
10 Tips for Preventing Car Accident Injuries in Charlotte, NCCar accidents can cause devastating injuries and have long-lasting effects on victims and their families. By following certain safety precautions and being aware of potential risks, you can significantly reduce the likelihood of car accident injuries. This article, written for Schehr Law PLLC, aims to provide valuable tips to help prevent car accident injuries in Charlotte, NC.
- Buckle Up: Wearing seat belts is one of the simplest and most effective ways to prevent injuries in a car accident. Always ensure that every occupant of the vehicle is properly restrained, including both drivers and passengers. Seat belts save lives and reduce the risk of severe injuries.
- Avoid Distractions: Distracted driving is a leading cause of car accidents. Keep your focus on the road by avoiding activities like texting, talking on the phone, eating, or using in-car technologies while driving. Maintain concentration and remain attentive at all times.
- Observe Speed Limits: Excessive speed is a significant contributor to accidents. Adhere to posted speed limits and adjust your speed according to road conditions. Slowing down in adverse weather, heavy traffic, or construction zones can prevent accidents and reduce the severity of injuries.
- Maintain Vehicle Safety: Regular vehicle maintenance is crucial for safe driving. Ensure that your car’s brakes, tires, headlights, and other essential components are in optimal condition. Regularly check fluid levels and schedule routine inspections to identify any potential issues.
- Use Turn Signals: Signaling your intentions allows other drivers to anticipate your movements, reducing the risk of collisions. Always use your turn signals to indicate lane changes, turns, and merges. Be courteous and make your intentions clear to promote safer driving habits.
- Increase Following Distance: Maintain a safe following distance from the vehicle in front of you. This gives you ample time to react and brake if necessary. In adverse weather conditions, such as rain or fog, increase the following distance even further to account for reduced visibility and longer stopping distances.
- Be Mindful of Blind Spots: Check your blind spots by using your side mirrors and turning your head before changing lanes or making turns. Being aware of other vehicles in your vicinity can help avoid dangerous collisions.
- Stay Sober: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is not only illegal but also significantly increases the risk of accidents. Always designate a sober driver or use alternative transportation options if you have consumed alcohol or taken medications that impair your driving ability.
- Follow Traffic Laws: Obeying traffic laws and regulations is essential for maintaining a safe driving environment. Stop at red lights and stop signs, yield to pedestrians and cyclists, and follow all other traffic rules. Respecting traffic laws reduces the likelihood of accidents and promotes a culture of safety on the roads.
- Stay Calm and Patient: Road rage and aggressive driving behaviors contribute to accidents. Keep your emotions in check and maintain a calm and patient attitude while driving. Avoid confrontations with other drivers and focus on arriving at your destination safely.
Charlotte Car Accident Law FAQs
What is the Statute of Limitations for a car accident case?The statute of limitations for a car accident case in North Carolina is three years from the date of the crash or injury. It is imperative that the statute of limitations is met, or you will be barred from filing a lawsuit. The statute of limitations for a wrongful death case in North Carolina is two years. Contact a Charlotte, NC car accident attorney as soon as possible to avoid missing the statute of limitations.
What Does it Cost to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in Charlotte, NC?
Should I Provide a Statement to an Insurance Adjuster?
How Does Social Media Affect a Car Accident Case?As a car accident lawyer Charlotte, NC victims depend on Schehr Law, PLLC may warn, if you post something on social media after a car accident, watchful eyes may use this content in an effort to doubt your story. For instance, if you claim that you sustained a broken arm but then post content on social media of you cooking dinner, then it will appear as if you are lying about your condition. It doesn’t matter if your social media settings are private either. Do not underestimate the lengths that the opposing party will go to deflect liability and minimize the victim’s claims in an attempt to avoid paying a fair settlement. If you can, refrain from social media use entirely until your claim has been handled and officially closed.
Who Should I Ask To Be Witnesses?There are many people who can serve as witnesses for your case. Were there passengers in the car with you that were also part of the accident? Your Charlotte car accident lawyer may ask, did someone help you get to the hospital for treatment of serious injuries? Was there a person who saw the accident happen and rushed over to help at the scene? You do not have to get a statement from a bystander in the moments after the crash, but you can ask for their contact so you can gather a statement from them later.
What Can I Do To Protect My Best Interests?
Charlotte Car Accident Law Statistics
Roads and Highways With Higher Accident Rates In CharlotteCharlotte has its share of roads that are known for accidents or congestion. Some roads and highways that have historically experienced heavy traffic and higher accident rates in Charlotte include:
- Interstate 85 (I-85): This major highway runs through Charlotte and can experience heavy traffic and congestion, particularly during peak travel times.
- Interstate 77 (I-77): Another significant highway passing through Charlotte, I-77 can also have traffic congestion and accident-prone areas, especially during rush hours.
- Independence Boulevard (U.S. Route 74): This road is a major east-west thoroughfare in Charlotte and can become congested, particularly near its intersections with other highways.
- Billy Graham Parkway: This parkway connects Charlotte Douglas International Airport to the city center and can experience heavy traffic, particularly during peak travel times.
- Providence Road: This road can be busy and prone to accidents, especially in areas with high commercial and residential activity.
Schehr Law, PLLC Charlotte Car Accident Lawyer101 N McDowell St, Ste 200, Charlotte, NC 28204
Charlotte Car Accident Lawyer Google Review“Schehr Law is a dedicated and well-rounded practice with a special niche for personal injury matters. Chris and his associates are available around the clock because they know that your case is the top priority in your life, and Schehr Law makes it theirs as well. Because of this, you will be happy with your representation, and if you aren’t Schehr Law will work with you until you are.” – Gregory G.
How Our Car Accident Attorneys Can Help You in Charlotte, NCCar accident attorneys in Charlotte, NC can provide valuable assistance if you have been involved in a car accident. Here are some ways in which they can help you:
- Legal Advice and Guidance: Car accident attorneys have in-depth knowledge of personal injury and traffic laws in Charlotte, NC. They can provide you with expert legal advice tailored to your specific case. They will guide you through the legal process, explaining your rights and options.
- Investigation and Evidence Collection: Attorneys will conduct a thorough investigation into the accident to gather evidence supporting your claim. This may involve obtaining police reports, interviewing witnesses, analyzing medical records, and reviewing any available surveillance footage or photographs.
- Determining Liability: Establishing liability is crucial in car accident cases. Your attorney will examine the circumstances of the accident to determine who was at fault. They will gather evidence to demonstrate the other party’s negligence or wrongdoing, which caused the accident and your injuries.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be challenging, as they may try to minimize your claim or offer a low settlement. Car accident attorneys are skilled negotiators who will handle all communication with the insurance company on your behalf. They will strive to negotiate a fair settlement that covers your medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Litigation and Court Representation: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiation, your attorney will be prepared to take your case to court. They will file a lawsuit on your behalf, gather additional evidence, and represent you during the entire litigation process, advocating for your rights and fighting for fair compensation.
- Financial Compensation: Car accident attorneys will work to ensure you receive the maximum financial compensation possible for your injuries and losses. They will assess the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, future medical needs, lost wages, diminished earning capacity, property damage, and pain and suffering.
- Peace of Mind: By entrusting your case to a car accident attorney, you can focus on your recovery and well-being. They will handle all legal aspects, including paperwork, deadlines, and negotiations, allowing you to have peace of mind during a challenging time.
Matters we can Help You With
Car Accident Attorney Representation In Court
Stepping into a courtroom and fighting for a claim against an insurance company can be a daunting task. Insurance companies usually have their set of lawyers present and they tend to drill the victim in an attempt to reduce the claim amount. These lawyers also play with the victim by offering a settlement in the form of paying for medical expenses. Car insurance, on the other hand, pays for everything right from medical expenses to loss of income and this is something the victim would not be aware of.
A car accident attorney representing the victim helps make calculated decisions and tries to increase the compensation as much as possible. They also know how to tackle the opposition lawyers smartly by using the victim’s injuries to their advantage.
The victim may not know this but at the time of purchasing car insurance, there would be various limitation periods set in the claim. Insurance companies often tend to pressurize new insurance policyholders with these limitation periods and try to hold the claim back as long as possible. In certain situations, they also put forward a time limit within which the victim should file for the claim failing which no money is released. Car accident attorneys are well versed with both these scenarios and they know what needs to be done to get the claim released.
Insurance companies are known to play around and demand multiple documents from the victim to prove the injury. This involves lengthy bills and other unnecessary paperwork so that they could buy time. When the victim has an attorney by their side they know which documents are needed by the court of law and which are unnecessary time-wasting tactics. Attorneys are usually smart enough to prepare all documents and keep the claim file ready before the insurance company even asks for it. This forces the insurance company to authorize the claim quicker than anticipated. This attorney knows how to work with the law to benefit the victim rather than putting the victim down.
In certain scenarios, a medical report needs to be filed before filing a claim. These reports can sometimes take time to generate however when an attorney is involved, the authorities ensure the report is generated quicker. The attorney also fights for the best possible treatment for the victim and includes this in the claim amount so the victim does not have to pay anything from their pocket. They also ensure that the victim gets timely treatment in a good recovery facility and all of this would be paid for by the insurance company.
More Confidence…Less Stress
An accident can be daunting for the victim. It could involve loss of life, major limb injuries, or in some cases permanent loss of income. This is stressful enough but having to deal with an insurance company independently adds to the stress. An attorney, on the other hand, becomes the victim’s support system. Not only do they help file for a bigger claim but they also push for the money to get released faster. They also look for fair compensation for loss of wages so that the victim can recover without worrying about how the bills will be paid. This gives the victim much needed time to recover and get better again.
Unlike what most people believe, car accident attorneys are affordable and they work more than what their fees include such as filing for the claim. There will also be times when the attorney would represent the victim in court while the victim is getting treated. This ensures that the claim is not squashed and the insurance company does not try to manipulate the court. If you or your loved one have recently been involved in a car accident, you shouldn’t waste any more time in getting a car accident attorney to represent the case.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney at Schehr Law PLLC Today
If you were involved in a car accident, there are many concerns that you may have. If the accident took place because of your fault or without your fault, you will be spending time talking to mechanics, doctors, and insurance adjusters.
The lawyers at Schehr Law will investigate your case thoroughly so that they can determine the fault as well as assess liability. They have a great understanding auto accident law.
"As a fellow professional in the area, I highly recommend Chris Schehr as an attorney. He has been very helpful to my clients as a resource for their personal injury, criminal, and immigration needs. In my experience with Chris, he is especially skilled with clients in car accident related cases."
* Note: I am available via email and phone anytime after hours. Free consultations apply to personal injury and criminal law cases. Immigration defense is subject to a consultation fee which will be applied towards your retainer if you chose to retain.