Truck Accident Lawyer Charlotte, NC
Why you should hire a Truck Accident Lawyer in Charlotte, NC
When involved in a truck accident in Charlotte, NC, hiring a specialized truck accident lawyer is paramount to ensure your rights are protected and you receive the compensation you rightfully deserve. Truck accidents often involve complex legal issues due to the large size of commercial trucks, the severity of the damages, and the numerous regulations governing the trucking industry. By hiring a seasoned attorney, you get an advocate who understands these complexities and can navigate the legal maze efficiently. Among the leading firms in Charlotte is Schehr Law, PLLC. Their proven track record and deep understanding of truck accident litigations underscore their commitment to their clients. Their dedicated team of professionals ensures personalized attention to each case, guiding victims through every step of the legal process. With Schehr Law, PLLC, you are not just hiring an attorney; you’re gaining a partner committed to seeking justice on your behalf.
What Should You Do After a Truck Accident
Experiencing a truck accident can be traumatic and overwhelming. Given the size and weight of commercial trucks, the resulting damages and injuries can be significant. Here’s a guide on what you should do after a truck accident to protect your rights and ensure your safety:
- Prioritize Safety: If possible, move to a safe location away from traffic to prevent further accidents. Turn on your hazard lights and set up flares or warning triangles if you have them.
- Check for Injuries: Assess yourself and any passengers for injuries. Even if they seem minor, it’s important to seek medical attention promptly, as some injuries may not manifest immediate symptoms.
- Call the Police: Even if the accident seems minor, always call the police. A police report can serve as a valuable piece of evidence when filing insurance claims or in case of litigation.
- Exchange Information: Obtain the truck driver’s name, contact details, insurance information, and license number. If there are any witnesses, gather their contact information as well.
- Document the Scene: Use your phone or camera to take photographs of the accident site, including vehicle damage, skid marks, road conditions, traffic signals, and any visible injuries. This documentation can be crucial evidence.
- Avoid Admitting Fault: Be careful with your words at the scene. Avoid admitting fault or making statements that might be used against you later.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Inform your insurer about the accident as soon as possible. They will guide you through their specific claim process.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you feel fine, visit a doctor. Some injuries, like whiplash or internal injuries, may not show immediate symptoms.
- Consult a Truck Accident Attorney: Given the complexities associated with truck accidents, including multiple potential liable parties and industry regulations, consulting a specialized attorney can be beneficial. They can guide you on the best course of action and help ensure you receive fair compensation.
- Keep Records: Maintain a file with all accident-related documents, such as medical records, repair bills, police reports, and any correspondence with insurance companies or other parties.
- Monitor Your Health: Follow up with any necessary medical treatments and be alert for any new or worsening symptoms.
Remember, each accident is unique, and while this guide offers a general overview, specific situations may require additional actions or considerations. Always prioritize your safety and health, and consider seeking professional advice when in doubt.
What are the common causes of Truck Accident
Truck accidents can be particularly devastating due to the sheer size and weight of these vehicles. Multiple factors, often interrelated, can lead to such mishaps. One of the predominant causes of truck accidents is driver error, but external factors, equipment malfunctions, and regulatory non-compliance can also play significant roles. Tiredness from long hours on the road, the pressure to meet delivery deadlines, and sometimes inadequate training can contribute to making truck drivers more susceptible to errors. Additionally, the larger blind spots, longer stopping distances, and the unwieldy nature of big rigs compared to regular vehicles increase the potential for accidents.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents:
- Driver Fatigue: Long hours without adequate breaks can lead to tiredness and decreased alertness.
- Distracted Driving: Activities like texting, calling, or eating can divert the driver’s attention from the road.
- Driving Under the Influence: Consumption of alcohol or drugs can impair judgment and reaction times.
- Speeding and Overtaking: Excessive speed or unsafe lane changes can lead to loss of control.
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance: Failure to maintain the truck can result in equipment failures, like brake malfunctions.
- Inadequate Training: Inexperienced drivers might not be equipped to handle challenging road conditions or situations.
- Cargo Overloading or Improper Loading: Unbalanced or excessive weight can cause the truck to tip or lose control.
- Weather Conditions: Slippery or wet roads, fog, snow, and other weather conditions can be challenging for big rigs.
- Blind Spots: Trucks have larger blind spots than regular vehicles, making lane changes and turns riskier.
- Poor Road Conditions: Potholes, unexpected roadblocks, or lack of proper signage can contribute to accidents.
- Mechanical Failures: Malfunctions, such as tire blowouts or steering failures, can lead to uncontrollable situations.
- Pressure from Employers: Tight schedules and deadlines can push drivers to take risks or skip mandatory rest periods.
Understanding these common causes is essential not just for truck drivers but also for other motorists. It emphasizes the need for proactive safety measures, regular training, and stringent adherence to regulations in the trucking industry.
Is it Beneficial to Hire a Trucking Accident Attorney
Hiring a trucking accident attorney after a collision with a commercial vehicle can be immensely beneficial for several reasons. Truck accidents often involve complexities not typically found in standard car accident cases. Given the sheer size and weight of commercial trucks, the resultant injuries and damages can be substantial. Furthermore, the trucking industry operates under a unique set of federal and state regulations. An experienced trucking accident attorney possesses a deep understanding of these regulations and can determine if any violations played a role in the collision. They can also navigate the intricate web of potential liable parties, from the truck driver and trucking company to cargo loaders and vehicle manufacturers. In addition, these attorneys are adept at negotiating with large insurance companies that have their own team of skilled lawyers, ensuring that victims receive the compensation they rightfully deserve. Without such specialized legal support, victims may find themselves at a significant disadvantage, potentially missing out on crucial evidence, legal strategies, or fair compensation.
How Much Does a Trucking Accident Lawyer Cost
The cost of hiring a trucking accident lawyer can vary based on several factors, including the lawyer’s experience, reputation, and geographic location. However, many trucking accident attorneys operate on a contingency fee basis. This means that clients do not pay any upfront fees or hourly rates. Instead, the attorney receives a percentage of the settlement or verdict amount if they successfully secure compensation for the client. If the lawyer does not win the case, the client typically owes nothing. The specific percentage taken as a contingency fee can vary, but it often ranges from 25% to 40% of the recovered amount, depending on the complexity of the case and at what stage it’s resolved. Before hiring an attorney, it’s essential for potential clients to discuss and understand all fee structures and any additional costs (like court fees or expert witness fees) that might arise during the litigation process.
How Can a Truck Accident Lawyer Help
A truck accident lawyer brings a wealth of expertise and resources to victims navigating the aftermath of a collision with a commercial vehicle. Such accidents often entail complexities beyond standard vehicle collisions due to the rigorous industry regulations, the multiplicity of potentially liable parties, and the significant damages involved. A seasoned truck accident lawyer can meticulously investigate the accident, identifying all contributing factors and liable entities, whether it’s the truck driver, trucking company, cargo loaders, or even vehicle manufacturers. By gathering evidence, reconstructing the accident scene, and consulting with industry experts, they build a robust case on the victim’s behalf. Furthermore, these lawyers are skilled in negotiating with large insurance companies, ensuring that victims aren’t shortchanged in settlements. Should negotiations stall, they are prepared to take the case to court to seek rightful compensation. Overall, a truck accident lawyer provides invaluable assistance, guiding victims through the legal labyrinth, advocating for their rights, and striving for the maximum compensation they deserve.
Safeguarding Your Rights: Why Schehr Law, PLLC is the Premier Choice for Truck Accident Representation in Charlotte, NC
In the intricate landscape of truck accident litigation in Charlotte, NC, having a knowledgeable and dedicated advocate is imperative. Schehr Law, PLLC stands out as a beacon of expertise and commitment in this domain. With their proven track record in handling truck accident cases, they bring a nuanced understanding of both the legalities and the emotional toll such accidents can exact on victims. Their seasoned team delves deeply into each case, ensuring that every angle is explored, and every avenue for compensation is pursued. Hiring Schehr Law, PLLC isn’t just about seeking legal redress; it’s about partnering with a firm that genuinely prioritizes your wellbeing and justice. For anyone seeking unparalleled representation following a truck accident in Charlotte, turning to Schehr Law, PLLC is a decision that promises diligence, expertise, and a steadfast commitment to your cause.
Areas of Focus
I will always take the option of going to trial if the need arises. In these cases, a victim will need to show that the party responsible for their injuries acted negligently in causing the accident. Negligence is a legal term that describes the appropriate precautions that apply to any given situation. Drivers are expected to obey traffic rules and stay alert to their surroundings, while stores and restaurants are supposed to clean spills and maintain their property for customers.
After proving that the defendant failed to meet the applicable standard of care, the plaintiff will need to show that the accident was a foreseeable result of the defendant’s carelessness. This issue of causation is important because victims will not be able to recover compensation if they were in any way responsible for the accident. An experienced personal injury attorney at our Charlotte office can help you assess your claim and gather evidence that places the fault for your injuries where it belongs.
If you have an injury because of the negligence of another person then you can make your claim of personal injury. After the injury has taken place, contact Schehr Law immediately after the occurrence. We will assess if you are eligible to claim personal injury or not. You might be liable to compensation based on the type of your injury. In some cases, you may get a damages payment that will ensure that all your cost is covered to get you back to the state that you were in before your accident, by the offender.
Your personal injury lawyer will evaluate the specific situation that you are in. There are various types of accidents and all accidents are different from each other. The entire process takes some time so get in touch with your insurers and collect all the medical evidence to make your case stronger.
Not only will I work tirelessly to retrieve a settlement or a win at trial, but I will negotiate with medical providers and insurance companies to reduce your medical bills. Reducing your bills will increase your settlement recovery.
"As a fellow professional in the area, I highly recommend Chris Schehr as an attorney. He has been very helpful to my clients as a resource for their personal injury, criminal, and immigration needs. In my experience with Chris, he is especially skilled with clients in car accident related cases."
Send Us A Message
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to send us a message. We aim to reply within 24 hours.
* Note: I am available via email and phone anytime after hours. Free consultations apply to personal injury and criminal law cases. Immigration defense is subject to a consultation fee which will be applied towards your retainer if you chose to retain.