Charlotte Truck Accident Attorney
Truck Accident Attorney Charlotte, NC
A truck accident can result in a major catastrophe, and the victim goes through a lot. Considering the size of the vehicle in question, it can cause major damages to people and property, including loss of life. If you have been in an accident that involved a truck then receiving a substantial claim is required not only so the truck can be repaired but also your medical expenses can be accounted.
While some truck drivers believe they can get in touch with a personal injury lawyer to represent them legally, it is smarter to hire a truck accident lawyer because they are aware of the legalities involving truck accidents. If the truck was involved in an accident with another vehicle or there was a co-passenger at the time of the accident, this could create complications and that is where a truck accident lawyer can be beneficial.
Truck accidents are different from normal vehicle accidents and the legalities are quite different as well. A normal attorney may not be able to do justice while filing for a claim or assisting with legal matters. An expert attorney is required in this situation. A truck accident often involves a collision of more than two vehicles and this also means there will be more than one legal representative from each party, including the insurance company. This makes it a complicated case and truck accident attorneys are experts in handling these situations. In case you are wondering whether or not you should hire a truck accident attorney then here are a few benefits you should know about.
Trucks are huge vehicles that come in various shapes, weights and sizes. When there is a truck accident the severity increases because of the larger size of the truck. Almost every 16 minutes, there is a serious truck accident in which someone is killed or injured, in the United States.
A truck that is fully loaded is 16 times the weight of a car that makes the crash very dangerous for the owner of the car. More distance is required for the tricks to come to the stop. All the factors as well as struck deadlines that the drivers have to follow, make sharing any road dangerous with others. As the accidents are of higher intensity so you will have to get the best lawyers who are experienced and knowledgeable in this specific area.
They Handle Insurance Companies Effectively
If you have ever been involved in an accident, you know how difficult it is to deal with insurance companies. They love beating around the bush and try to delay the claim as much as possible. They also look for various loopholes to reduce the claim amount and often push the victim towards the edge.
When involved in an accident, many things go through the victim’s mind. They will have to deal with medical expenses, injuries, and damages all at once. Insurance companies make it worse by delaying the release of the claim amount and asking irrelevant questions. When there is a truck accident attorney to represent the victim, they know the legal bindings of an insurance company and what they need to process the claim. They waste no time in preparing all relevant paperwork, evidence, expenses, and bills and submit them to the insurance company.
Truck accident attorneys are tactful in their approach and work towards getting the highest possible compensation by including as many charges as possible. While a victim will not consider the loss of income while filing for compensation, the attorney on the other hand will consider it and include it in the compensation amount. Insurance companies also have their set of attorneys and if the victim has to go up against them, it will be almost impossible to get a good claim. With an experienced truck accident attorney by your side, it is a different ball game.
Truck Accident Lawyer Charlotte, NC
Have you or a loved one been involved in a truck accident in Charlotte, NC? Truck accidents can be devastating, causing severe injuries and extensive property damage. If you’re facing medical bills, lost wages, and emotional distress due to a truck accident, it’s essential to seek the guidance of an experienced truck accident lawyer. At Schehr Law PLLC, our dedicated team is here to provide you with the legal support and representation you need during this challenging time. With our expertise in handling truck accident cases in Charlotte, NC, we will fight tirelessly to protect your rights and pursue the compensation you deserve.
A truck accident lawyer in Charlotte, NC knows just how catastrophic and deadly trucking accidents can be in our state. Trucking accidents commonly occur in North Carolina due to our vast streets and highway system. Highways such as I-85 and I-77 are home to many tractor trailers and our state is high in demand for the commercial trucking industry. This makes North Carolina and its citizens susceptible to deadly trucking accidents. Due to the truck’s weight and size, accidents often end up being severe and result in wrongful death or extreme injury.
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, don’t navigate the legal complexities on your own. Contact the skilled truck accident attorneys at Schehr Law PLLC today. Our compassionate team will listen to your story, evaluate your case, and guide you through the legal process. We understand the unique challenges that truck accidents present, and we have the knowledge and resources to build a strong case on your behalf. Take the first step toward seeking justice and obtaining the compensation you deserve. Call Schehr Law PLLC now for a free consultation and let us fight for your rights.
Table Of Contents:
- Causes Of Truck Accident
- Who is at fault for a trucking accident?
- 10 Essential Steps to Take After a Truck Accident in Charlotte, NC
- Types of truck accidents
- Charlotte Truck Accident Law Infographic
- TYPES OF TRUCK ACCIDENTS INFOGRAPHIC
- Damages in a truck accident case
- Filing an Insurance Claim in Charlotte, NC After A Truck Accident
- Charlotte Truck Accident Law FAQs
- Dangerous Highways and Freeways with Truck Accidents in Charlotte, NC
- Schehr Law, PLLC Charlotte Truck Accident Lawyer
- Contact Our Charlotte truck accident lawyer today!
Causes Of Truck Accident
Truck accidents can occur due to a magnitude of different reasons. Truck drivers spend a majority of their time on the highways performing their job and often sleep and live in their trucks. Truck drivers are under enormous pressure to get their freight quickly to different locations. Often, this pressure leads to sleepless nights, lack of nutrition, and careless personal maintenance. Ultimately, this combination adds up to a disaster on the roadways.
Truck drivers are expected to act as a reasonably prudent person operating a motor vehicle on the roadways. When a truck driver’s conduct falls below this standard and causes an injury, the driver can be liable for negligence.
Other causes of truck accidents include the following:
- Lack of maintenance
- Faulty brakes
- Driving too slowly
- Driving under hazardous conditions
- Failing to stop within the assured clear distance ahead
- Engine malfunction
- Hauling too much weight
- Failing to keep a proper lookout
- Improper parking
- Faulty steering systems
- Hydraulic failure
- Lack of proper training
- Tire pressure and blown tires
Who is at fault for a trucking accident?
The truck driver or employee may be only one of several defendants who are liable for a truck-related accident. Predominantly, the driver of a commercial truck is working for a trucking company. The trucking company is generally liable for its employee’s negligence through a theory of respondent superior.
Often a trucking company will borrow an employee from another trucking company to help get cargo moved quickly. If this is the case, both employers may share responsibility for the negligent act through North Carolina’s borrowed employee rule.
Insurance is a major player in trucking accidents. Due to the massive size and weight of the trucks, commercial trucking companies are required by statute to hold certain limits of insurance coverage. Generally, these limits are much higher than what you would see from basic car insurance. Commercial trucking insurance may also cover more than typical car insurance.
An experienced Charlotte, NC truck accident lawyer knows how to deal with the major insurance companies and to not let them bully you.
10 Essential Steps to Take After a Truck Accident in Charlotte, NC
Being involved in a truck accident can have severe consequences, leading to significant injuries and damages. In the aftermath of such an incident, it is crucial to take immediate action to protect your rights and pursue fair compensation. This article, written for Schehr Law PLLC, aims to provide guidance on the essential steps to take after a truck accident in Charlotte, NC.
- Prioritize Safety: Ensure the safety of yourself and others involved in the accident. If possible, move to a safe location away from traffic. Turn on hazard lights, set up flares or warning triangles, and take precautions to prevent further accidents or injuries.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you believe your injuries are minor, it is important to seek medical attention promptly. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent, and a medical evaluation can identify underlying issues. Follow through with recommended treatments and keep records of all medical visits, tests, and prescribed medications.
- Contact Law Enforcement: Call 911 to report the accident and request police assistance. Law enforcement officers will arrive at the scene, document the incident, and create an official accident report. Obtain a copy of the report as it can provide valuable evidence for your case.
- Gather Information: Exchange contact, insurance, and driver’s license information with the truck driver involved. Also, collect the names and contact details of any witnesses. Note the truck’s license plate number, the trucking company’s name, and any other relevant information. This information will be vital for your insurance claim and any legal proceedings.
- Document the Scene: Take photographs or videos of the accident scene, including the position of the vehicles, damage sustained, skid marks, and any visible road conditions. Documenting the scene can help establish liability and preserve evidence.
- Preserve Evidence: Preserve any physical evidence related to the accident, such as damaged vehicle parts or personal belongings. Additionally, keep records of any expenses incurred due to the accident, such as towing fees, medical bills, and repair estimates.
- Consult an Attorney: Contact an experienced truck accident attorney at Schehr Law PLLC as soon as possible. They will provide legal guidance, evaluate your case, and help protect your rights. An attorney will handle communication with the trucking company and insurance companies, gather necessary evidence, and build a strong case on your behalf.
- Report the Accident: Notify your insurance company about the accident and provide them with accurate and factual information. However, avoid admitting fault or discussing the details of the accident without consulting your attorney first.
- Avoid Early Settlement Offers: Insurance companies may offer a quick settlement shortly after the accident. Proceed with caution and consult with your attorney before accepting any settlement. Often, early offers do not adequately compensate for the full extent of your damages.
- Follow Legal Deadlines: Be aware of the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim in North Carolina. Generally, you have three years from the date of the accident to initiate a lawsuit. Complying with legal deadlines is essential to protect your rights and pursue the compensation you deserve.
Conclusion: After a truck accident in Charlotte, NC, taking prompt and strategic action is crucial to protect your rights and seek fair compensation. By following these steps and consulting with an experienced truck accident attorney at Schehr Law PLLC, you can navigate the aftermath of a truck accident effectively. Remember, professional legal guidance can make a significant difference in ensuring your rights are upheld and helping you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Types of truck accidents
There are many different types of truck accidents that can occur. Understanding the type of truck accident that has occurred is important due to the different statutes and regulations that come into play. Here is a list of a few different types of trucking accidents:
Rear end collisions
Due to the weight and size of semi-trucks, rear end collisions are a common type of truck accident. Given the size of the truck, this type of accident can be horrific when paired with a smaller vehicle. If the truck driver does not properly calculate the distance and time to stop, a rear end collision may occur.
A jackknife accident occurs when a truck attempts a sudden stop, and the trailer of the truck slides out at a 90-degree angle. This type of accident is deadly given the violent swing of the trailer. Often, the truck will roll-over or block the entire roadway.
Improperly parking accidents
Certain statutes make it a violation for a truck to park in certain areas. For example, a truck may not park on the shoulder of a highway where the truck is protruding into the roadway. It may be considered negligence per se to violate such a statute. If the violation results in an accident, the driver may be liable for negligence.
Wide turn accidents
Due to a semi-truck’s length, wide turn accidents are very common. Truck drivers must receive the proper training and skills to be able to safely operate a truck. One skill they must learn is to take wide turns safely. If there was a lack of proper training, or the driver failed in this skill, a negligence claim may be pursued.
T-bone accidents are common due to the length of tractor trailers. If a truck runs through a stop sign or light, the trailer of the truck may still protrude into the intersection once the other light has turned green. This often leads to a T-bone type collision.
Tire blowout accidents
Commercial trucks must follow federal and state law when it comes to tire type and pressure. Different road conditions and weather may lead a driver to use a different tire or different pressure in a tire. If a truck’s tires are not safe under the law, a blow out may occur. These accidents are often violent and may lead to a jackknife or rollover type accident.
Brake failure accidents
Due to size and weight, truck drivers must maintain brakes that are regulated by federal and state law. If a driver’s brakes are not up to code, they risk a brake failure. Furthermore, due to the mountainous roads in NC, brake failure is very common due to the high heat of the braking system when traveling down a hill or mountain.
Charlotte Truck Accident Law Infographic
Damages in a truck accident case
Damages in a truck accident case are generally much higher than that of a standard car accident case. The reason for this is that there are more parties involved and insurance is higher. As mentioned previously, trucking companies are required to carry higher insurance due to the nature of their industry. With a higher insurance policy and more resources through the trucking company, settlements and verdicts are generally higher.
Here are several types of damages that can be recovered in a truck accident case:
- Medical care and bills
- Future medical care and rehabilitation services
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income and future lost wages
- Vehicle repair and replacement
- Permanency for injuries
- Punitive damages in rare cases
If the truck accident results in a fatality and loss of life, the deceased party’s family may bring a wrongful death action on the victims’ behalf. A wrongful death action allows the deceased’s family to pay for burial expenses, medical bills, pain and suffering, lost earnings, and a variety of other losses.
Truck accidents are more complex than general car accident cases. These cases often involve the litigation process which includes taking deposition, doing discovery, attending mediation, and complex negotiations. It is imperative that you reach out to a Charlotte, NC truck accident lawyer to get help.
Filing an Insurance Claim in Charlotte, NC After A Truck Accident
Being involved in an accident with a truck driver can be a traumatic experience, leading to significant damages and injuries. When pursuing compensation for your losses, it is essential to understand the process of filing an insurance claim. This article, written for Schehr Law PLLC, aims to provide guidance on how to file an insurance claim in Charlotte, NC, following an accident with a truck driver.
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health and well-being should be your top priority after the accident. Seek immediate medical attention for any injuries sustained. Not only is this crucial for your recovery, but it also establishes a record of your injuries, which will be important when filing an insurance claim.
- Document the Accident Scene: Collect evidence from the accident scene, including photographs or videos that capture the damage to your vehicle and the truck involved. Take note of any contributing factors such as road conditions, weather, and any visible traffic signs or signals. These details can help establish liability and strengthen your insurance claim.
- Exchange Information: Exchange contact, insurance, and driver’s license information with the truck driver involved in the accident. Also, gather contact information from any witnesses present at the scene. Their testimonies may be valuable during the claims process.
- Report the Accident: Notify your insurance company about the accident as soon as possible. Provide them with a factual account of the incident and any relevant details. Be honest and thorough in your description, but refrain from admitting fault or speculating on liability.
- Consult an Attorney: Consider seeking legal representation from an experienced truck accident attorney. They can guide you through the claims process, protect your rights, and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your damages. An attorney will handle communication with the insurance company and help build a strong case on your behalf.
- Gather Evidence: Document all damages and injuries resulting from the accident. Keep track of medical records, bills, receipts for expenses, and any other relevant documentation. This evidence will help support your insurance claim and establish the extent of your losses.
- Communicate with the Insurance Adjuster: Expect to be contacted by an insurance adjuster who will investigate the accident and assess your claim. While it is important to cooperate, remember that the adjuster works for the insurance company and may attempt to minimize their liability. Consult with your attorney before providing any statements or accepting settlement offers.
- Negotiate a Fair Settlement: With the guidance of your attorney, negotiate a fair settlement that adequately covers your damages, including medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Be prepared for the possibility of a legal battle if a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached through negotiations.
- Statute of Limitations: Be aware of the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim in North Carolina. In general, you have three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. Failing to meet this deadline may result in the loss of your right to seek compensation.
Filing an insurance claim after an accident with a truck driver in Charlotte, NC, requires careful attention to detail and a thorough understanding of the process. By following these steps and consulting with an experienced truck accident attorney at Schehr Law PLLC, you can navigate the claims process effectively and maximize your chances of receiving fair compensation for your losses. Remember, seeking legal guidance can make a significant difference in obtaining the compensation you deserve.
Potential Damages You Can Claim
At Schehr Law, PLLC, we understand the importance of securing the maximum compensation for our clients who have suffered injuries due to the negligence of others in Charlotte, North Carolina. When you work with our experienced personal injury attorneys, we will diligently assess your case and help you pursue various types of damages that you may be entitled to claim. Potential damages that can be sought in Charlotte, North Carolina, include:
- Medical Expenses: You can claim compensation for all current and future medical expenses related to your injuries. This includes hospitalization, surgeries, doctor visits, prescription medications, physical therapy, and any other necessary medical treatments.
- Lost Wages: If your injuries have caused you to miss work, you can seek compensation for the income you’ve lost during your recovery period. Additionally, if your injuries result in long-term or permanent disability, you may be entitled to claim future lost earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: Physical injuries often come with significant pain and emotional suffering. Compensation for pain and suffering is intended to provide financial relief for the non-economic impact of the accident on your life.
- Emotional Distress: Being involved in an accident can cause emotional trauma, anxiety, and distress. You may be eligible to seek damages for the psychological impact of the incident.
- Property Damage: If any of your personal property, such as clothing or belongings, was damaged in the accident, you can claim compensation for the repair or replacement costs.
- Loss of Consortium: If the accident has adversely affected your relationship with your spouse or partner, they may be able to seek damages for the loss of companionship and support.
- Punitive Damages: In cases where the defendant’s actions were particularly egregious, reckless, or intentional, punitive damages may be awarded in addition to compensatory damages. These are meant to punish the at-fault party and deter similar behavior in the future.
- Wrongful Death Damages: If you have lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, certain family members may be entitled to claim wrongful death damages, including funeral and burial expenses, loss of financial support, and loss of companionship.
Our skilled personal injury lawyers at Schehr Law, PLLC, are dedicated to building a strong case to ensure that you receive fair and just compensation for all the damages you have suffered. We understand the intricacies of North Carolina’s personal injury laws, and we will work tirelessly to negotiate with insurance companies or take your case to court if necessary.
If you or a loved one has been injured in Charlotte, North Carolina, due to someone else’s negligence, contact Schehr Law, PLLC, for a free consultation. We operate on a contingency fee basis, which means you don’t pay us unless we successfully recover compensation for your case. Let us fight for your rights and provide you with the legal support you need to focus on your recovery and rebuilding your life.
Charlotte Truck Accident Law FAQs
What should I do immediately after a truck accident in Charlotte, NC?
After a truck accident, prioritize your safety and seek medical attention for any injuries. Contact law enforcement to report the accident, gather information from the truck driver and witnesses, and document the scene with photographs or videos. It is crucial to consult with a truck accident lawyer at Schehr Law PLLC as soon as possible to protect your rights and ensure proper legal guidance.
How can a truck accident lawyer help me with my case?
A truck accident lawyer at Schehr Law PLLC can provide invaluable assistance by thoroughly investigating the accident, gathering evidence, identifying liable parties, and building a strong legal strategy. They will handle communication with insurance companies and trucking companies on your behalf, negotiate for fair compensation, and, if necessary, litigate your case to seek justice.
Who can be held responsible for a truck accident in Charlotte, NC?
Liability in a truck accident can extend to various parties, including the truck driver, trucking company, vehicle manufacturer, maintenance provider, or other involved parties. Determining liability requires a detailed investigation of the accident. At Schehr Law PLLC, our truck accident lawyers have the experience and resources to identify responsible parties and hold them accountable.
What types of compensation can I recover in a truck accident case?
In a truck accident case, you may be eligible to recover various types of compensation, including medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, rehabilitation costs, and future medical expenses. Your truck accident lawyer will assess the full extent of your damages and pursue fair compensation on your behalf.
How long do I have to file a truck accident lawsuit in Charlotte, NC?
The statute of limitations for filing a truck accident lawsuit in North Carolina is generally three years from the date of the accident. However, it is essential to consult with a truck accident lawyer at Schehr Law PLLC promptly, as time is of the essence. Failing to file within the specified time limit may result in losing your right to seek compensation.
How much does it cost to hire a truck accident lawyer at Schehr Law PLLC?
At Schehr Law PLLC, we understand the financial burden you may be facing after a truck accident. That’s why we offer a free initial consultation to assess your case and discuss your legal options. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you won’t owe us any legal fees unless we successfully recover compensation for you. This allows you to focus on your recovery while we handle your legal matters.
Note: The answers provided here are for general informational purposes and should not be considered legal advice. Consulting with a truck accident lawyer at Schehr Law PLLC is essential to address the specific details of your case.
Dangerous Highways and Freeways with Truck Accidents in Charlotte, NC
Here is a list of highways and freeways that are historically known for having higher traffic volumes and, consequently, an increased potential for accidents involving trucks. Some of the major highways in Charlotte where truck accidents may occur include:
- Interstate 85 (I-85): I-85 is a significant highway running through Charlotte and connects various regions across the southeastern United States. It is a busy route for commercial truck traffic and can experience congestion and accidents, particularly during peak travel times.
- Interstate 77 (I-77): Another major highway passing through Charlotte, I-77 is a critical transportation route for both passenger and commercial vehicles. This interstate can also have heavy truck traffic and the potential for accidents, particularly in areas with merging or lane-changing maneuvers.
- Interstate 485 (I-485): I-485 is a beltway that encircles Charlotte and experiences significant traffic, including commercial truck traffic. With multiple entry and exit points, merging lanes, and interchanges, it can be a location where truck accidents occur.
- U.S. Route 74 (Independence Boulevard): Independence Boulevard is a major thoroughfare that connects Charlotte to nearby areas. It can experience heavy traffic and encounters with commercial trucks, increasing the potential for accidents.
- U.S. Route 29 (North Tryon Street): North Tryon Street is a major roadway in Charlotte that connects the downtown area to the northern suburbs. This route is known for its high traffic volume and can be frequented by commercial trucks, potentially leading to accidents.
Schehr Law, PLLC Charlotte Truck Accident Lawyer
Contact Our Charlotte truck accident lawyer today!
Truck accident cases are different from car accident cases given the different statutes and commercial trucking regulations that are promulgated by each state. In North Carolina, we have our own set of commercial trucking laws that we can turn to. At Schehr Law, PLLC, we are well versed and understand the ins and outs of these complex laws. We understand the necessary evidence required to establish a prima facie case of negligence in a trucking case. Reach out to our office today to speak with an experienced truck accident lawyer in Charlotte, NC.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident in Charlotte, NC, it is crucial to seek the guidance of an experienced truck accident lawyer at Schehr Law PLLC. We understand the complexities of truck accident cases and are dedicated to fighting for your rights and pursuing the compensation you deserve. With our knowledge, resources, and commitment to client advocacy, we will navigate the legal process on your behalf, holding responsible parties accountable for their actions. Don’t face the aftermath of a truck accident alone. Contact Schehr Law PLLC today for a free consultation and let us provide the legal support you need to rebuild your life. Your road to recovery starts with taking the first step and reaching out to our skilled truck accident attorneys.
Matters we can Help You With
Expert Legal Guidance
One of the most important factors in determining a good compensation is expert guidance. No insurance company releases compensation without conducting an inquiry. As a layperson, the company will create scenarios to put you in a compromising position and reduce the compensation amount. A truck accident attorney works towards avoiding these circumstances altogether. They come prepared and get the complete list of relevant evidence and information to submit to the insurance companies to avoid any complications.
The lawyers from the insurance company will have many questions and will try to pin the blame on the victim. The truck accident attorney will stand by the victim and give them guidance concerning how to handle the situation in the right way. They prove that the accident was not the fault of the victim by pointing out how they have to face major damages and how it has affected their financial standing.
Understanding Your Rights
There are many legal rights you have when it comes to claiming insurance. Unfortunately, it is difficult to know all the rights and this is where insurance companies try to take advantage of the situation. They try covering up the legalities in your favor and push forward legalities not in your favor to reduce the claim.
A truck accident attorney, on the other hand, knows the law at the back of their hand and the companies cannot take them for a ride. You may be compelled to fight with the insurance company independently. Not only will this take a longer time, but you will have to spend money out of your pocket to get your truck repaired, pay all medical expenses and forfeit your daily wages when you have to visit the courtroom.
When you have a truck accident attorney, they represent you in the court of law. This means you can focus on getting your life together after the accident without having to stress about the claim money coming through. This is because the truck accident attorney will handle everything.
Support At The Right Time
Truck accident attorneys provide much-needed support during your time of need. Many times victims refrain from getting quality medical care because they are skeptical about whether or not the insurance claim will come through. With the right truck accident attorney, you feel more confident and this enables you to get timely treatment so you can get better and focus on putting your life together.
Apart from medical expenses, truck accident attorneys also help you get compensated for the loss of work so you don’t have to worry about other expenses including payment of the attorney’s fees. A good truck accident attorney gives you the much-needed support at the right time so you can claim what is rightfully yours. They take away the stress involved with dealing with big insurance companies that are out to fleece you. They also explain the law so you know how to benefit from it in the best possible way.
Not only will I work tirelessly to retrieve a settlement or a win at trial, but I will negotiate with medical providers and insurance companies to reduce your medical bills. Reducing your bills will increase your settlement recovery.
"As a fellow professional in the area, I highly recommend Chris Schehr as an attorney. He has been very helpful to my clients as a resource for their personal injury, criminal, and immigration needs. In my experience with Chris, he is especially skilled with clients in car accident related cases."
Send Us A Message
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to send us a message. We aim to reply within 24 hours.
* Note: I am available via email and phone anytime after hours. Free consultations apply to personal injury and criminal law cases. Immigration defense is subject to a consultation fee which will be applied towards your retainer if you chose to retain.