Personal injury lawsuits may result from a wide variety of accidents, including car crashes, truck accidents, and slip and falls.
Personal Injury Attorney Charlotte, NC
The first thing that should occur when the unfortunate happens is making a report of the incident. For example, in a car accident case, you should call law enforcement immediately so a report can be made. Your next step should be to immediately contact me to evaluate your case. Never speak with the other party’s insurance company until you speak with me. Once the police report is complete, seeking medical attention should be your next step. If you miss any work, you should retrieve evidence to show the amount of days and lost wages which result from the accident. If you follow these steps, you have set yourself up for a strong case. The earlier you contact me, the better settlement we can achieve, and a better chance at a successful trial.We have had a good track record of winning the claims of personal injury that has been built over the years. The claim of personal injury has very strict deadlines. In case of personal injury, your claim should be submitted within three years to the court, after the injury has taken place.
Areas of Focus
Charlotte Personal Injury Lawyer
Selecting the right Charlotte personal injury attorney should not be taken lightly.
Hiring a personal injury lawyer in Charlotte, North Carolina can be essential for a variety of reasons. Firstly, a personal injury lawyer has the necessary legal expertise and knowledge to navigate the complexities of personal injury law in the state. They are familiar with the local laws, regulations, and court procedures, allowing them to effectively represent your interests. Whether you’ve been injured in a car accident, slip and fall incident, or any other type of personal injury case, a lawyer can provide valuable guidance and ensure that your rights are protected.
Secondly, a personal injury lawyer can help evaluate the strength of your case and determine the potential value of your claim. They have experience in assessing the evidence, investigating the accident, and gathering necessary information to build a strong case on your behalf. By thoroughly evaluating your case, they can provide you with an accurate understanding of your legal options and the likelihood of success. Additionally, they can handle negotiations with insurance companies, who often try to minimize their liability by offering inadequate settlements. With a personal injury lawyer by your side, you can have peace of mind knowing that you have someone advocating for your best interests and working towards securing fair compensation for your injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.
Hiring a personal injury lawyer in Charlotte, North Carolina is crucial for several reasons. They possess the legal expertise to navigate the intricacies of personal injury law, can evaluate the strength of your case, and provide guidance on the potential value of your claim. Additionally, they can handle negotiations with insurance companies and, if necessary, represent you in court. By having a skilled professional on your side, you can focus on your recovery while knowing that your rights are being protected and that you have the best possible chance of obtaining fair compensation for your injuries.
If you or a loved one have been involved in a car accident, contact a personal injury lawyer Charlotte, NC residents recommend should be a top priority. We understand the hardship you face when you are the victim of a traumatic event. We also understand that you may be facing medical bills, lost wages, severe daily pain, emotional trauma, and other concerns that need immediate attention.
At Schehr Law, PLLC, we have a mission to help you on a personal level. We want to get to know you, be with your family, and help you get through this experience day by day. As a firm focused on family, you are not just another case. Rather, you will have access to individualized attention from a top Charlotte, NC personal injury lawyer.
Table Of Contents:
- Here are five things to know about Schehr Law PLLC Law firm
- Charlotte Personal Injury Law Infographic
- What is a Personal Injury Case?
- How do different types of accidents occur?
- Common Injuries Suffered In Personal Injury Accidents in Charlotte, NC
- Charlotte, NC Personal Injury Compensation
- The different types of Personal Injury damages
- Personal Injury Laws In Charlotte, North Carolina
- Charlotte Personal Injury Law FAQs
- Charlotte Personal Injury Statistics
- Schehr Law, PLLC Charlotte Personal Injury Lawyer
- Charlotte Personal Injury Lawyer Google Review
- Consult Our Experienced Charlotte Personal Injury lawyer
Here are five things to know about Schehr Law PLLC Law firm:
- Schehr Law PLLC was founded in 2019 with a vision to give each client individualized attention and to treat everyone like family. Mr. Schehr was born and raised in Winston Salem, NC, and is a native of the great State of North Carolina. Mr. Schehr worked for several big law firms and found that clients need more one-on-one attention. In order to achieve that vision, Mr. Schehr set out to do just that and opened Schehr Law PLLC.
- Together with his staff, Mr. Schehr is active in many associations throughout North Carolina. Notably, Mr. Schehr is a member of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice and was mentioned as a spotlight attorney (LINK). Mr. Schehr is also a member of the North Carolina Bar, Mecklenburg County Bar, and the young lawyer’s division.
- Schehr Law PLLC has been rated a top Charlotte personal injury law firm and Gaston County by expertise.com for the year 2021.
- Schehr Law PLLC is five-star rated by Google and strives to exceed client expectations in every avenue possible.
- We care. We want to be by your side at all times and let you know that we aren’t just fighting for you, but for our family.
If the five reasons above are enough to let us handle your case, that is great. If not, I encourage you to give us a call and let us talk with you. We want to give you the utmost confidence in making your decision and believe that we can provide that to you through a caring conversation.
Many personal injury cases involve going against major insurance companies and corporations. We have the confidence and skills to take them head-on and not allow them to bully us. We have handled hundreds of cases and know what it takes to get the results you need. Our five-star reviews speak for themselves.
Charlotte Personal Injury Law Infographic
Why Do You Need A Personal Injury Lawyer In Charlotte, North Carolina?
If you have suffered an injury due to someone else’s negligence or reckless behavior in Charlotte, North Carolina, hiring a personal injury lawyer is essential to protect your rights and ensure you receive fair compensation for your losses. Here are some key reasons why you need a personal injury lawyer in Charlotte:
- Legal Expertise: Personal injury laws can be complex and vary from state to state. A qualified personal injury lawyer in Charlotte has the knowledge and experience to navigate the intricate legal system and handle your case effectively. They will be well-versed in North Carolina’s specific laws regarding personal injury claims, statutes of limitations, and other relevant regulations.
- Evaluation of Your Claim: An experienced attorney can assess the details of your case and determine its potential value. They can factor in medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages to ensure you seek fair compensation that adequately reflects the extent of your injuries and losses.
- Negotiation Skills: Most personal injury cases are settled through negotiations with insurance companies. Having a skilled negotiator on your side significantly increases your chances of reaching a favorable settlement. A personal injury lawyer can advocate for your best interests and make sure you don’t settle for less than you deserve.
- Investigative Resources: Building a strong personal injury case often requires gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and consulting with experts. Reputable personal injury attorneys have access to a network of resources that can help in investigating and strengthening your claim.
- Proving Liability: To succeed in a personal injury claim, you must establish the other party’s liability for your injuries. A competent attorney can help gather evidence and build a persuasive argument to prove the defendant’s negligence or responsibility for the accident.
- Dealing with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies may try to minimize their payouts or deny claims altogether. Having a personal injury lawyer by your side can protect you from insurance tactics designed to devalue your claim and ensure your rights are upheld.
- Peace of Mind: Recovering from an injury can be physically, emotionally, and financially draining. By entrusting your case to a skilled attorney, you can focus on your recovery and well-being while they handle the legal aspects of your claim.
- Trial Representation: While most personal injury cases settle out of court, some may proceed to trial. In such cases, having an experienced trial attorney who knows the local court system can be invaluable in presenting your case effectively before a judge and jury.
Hiring Schehr Law, PLLC, as your personal injury lawyer in Charlotte, North Carolina, is crucial if you’ve been injured due to someone else’s negligence. We provide the legal expertise, negotiation skills, and resources necessary to pursue fair compensation for your injuries and losses while you focus on healing and moving forward with your life.
What is a Personal Injury Case?
A personal injury case is a civil action, not a criminal. These types of cases are handled in the civil division of the courts, and generally involve a claim of negligence. Although some cases seek a punishment, personal injury cases generally seek monetary damages to put you back in the place you were prior to the accident.
A personal injury case means that a person (Plaintiff) has suffered an injury to their person or property and involves a person or business (Defendant) as the potentially liable party for your injuries.
Personal injury cases are rooted under the law in what is called “tort” law. The main elements of a negligence case include a duty, breach, causation, and damages. For example, if a Defendant fails to stop at a stop light and hits the side of your car causing you injuries, that person has breached their duty of care by failing to stop, which in turn caused your injuries.
Main Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle:
- Car accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Wrongful death
- Drunk Driving Collisions
- Boating accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Rideshare accident
- Pedestrian accidents
How do different types of accidents occur?
As seen above, there are different types of personal injuries that should be accounted for, from accidents to rideshare accidents and more. With that said, it is important to go into detail about some of these types of accidents. For example; some personal injuries that end up taking place involve vehicle accidents. However, this is not black and white, since there are many facets that should be taken into consideration when it comes to these kinds of personal injury accidents.
For example; when it comes to vehicles and personal injury, sometimes they can be caused by factors, such as drunk driving and speeding. However, to provide even more depth, drunk driving can sometimes be caused by factors, such as road rage while drunk, tailgating while drunk, and more. However, even if someone is not driving under the influence, speeding on the road, is what can lead to personal injuries.
Examples of this would be tailgating an individual to try and get ahead of them, which can put someone at risk of getting into a car crash, if the person in front of the trailer gator has to make a sudden stop, running through a red light or a stop sign when someone is in a hurry, and more. There is more to discuss as well.
Common Injuries Suffered In Personal Injury Accidents in Charlotte, NC
Schehr Law, PLLC is committed to representing clients in personal injury cases in Charlotte, North Carolina. Personal injury accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, and our experienced team understands the common types of injuries that individuals may suffer. Here are some examples:
- Car Accident Injuries: Car accidents are a leading cause of personal injury in Charlotte. They can result in injuries such as whiplash, broken bones, concussions, spinal cord injuries, and traumatic brain injuries. Our firm has extensive experience in handling car accident cases and can provide effective legal representation to help clients recover compensation for their injuries.
- Slip and Fall Injuries: Slip and fall accidents can occur due to hazardous conditions on someone else’s property, such as wet floors, uneven surfaces, or inadequate lighting. These accidents can lead to injuries like fractures, sprains, head injuries, and back injuries. Schehr Law, PLLC is well-versed in premises liability law and can help clients hold negligent property owners accountable for their injuries.
- Medical Malpractice Injuries: Medical malpractice occurs when a healthcare professional fails to provide the standard of care expected in their profession, resulting in harm to the patient. Medical malpractice injuries can include surgical errors, misdiagnosis, medication errors, birth injuries, and more. Our firm has the knowledge and resources to handle complex medical malpractice cases and seek justice for those who have suffered harm due to medical negligence.
- Workplace Injuries: On-the-job accidents can cause severe injuries, leaving workers with physical, emotional, and financial hardships. Common workplace injuries include falls, machinery accidents, exposure to hazardous substances, and repetitive strain injuries. Schehr Law, PLLC is dedicated to assisting injured workers in pursuing workers’ compensation claims and, if applicable, exploring third-party liability claims.
- Product Liability Injuries: Defective products can cause serious harm to consumers. Whether it’s a faulty vehicle component, a defective medical device, or a dangerous consumer product, injuries can range from burns and lacerations to organ damage and even death. Our firm has the experience and resources to handle complex product liability cases and pursue compensation from manufacturers, distributors, and other responsible parties.
At Schehr Law, PLLC, we understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that personal injuries can have on individuals and their families. We are dedicated to providing personalized legal representation and fighting for the rights of our clients. If you have suffered any of these common injuries or others in a personal injury accident in Charlotte, North Carolina, we are here to help you seek justice and obtain the compensation you deserve.
Charlotte, NC Personal Injury Compensation
At Schehr Law, PLLC, we are dedicated to helping our clients in Charlotte, North Carolina, pursue the compensation they deserve in personal injury cases. The specific compensation available will depend on the unique circumstances of each case, but here are some common types of compensation that individuals may seek:
Medical Expenses: Personal injury accidents often result in significant medical bills, including hospital stays, surgeries, doctor’s visits, prescription medications, rehabilitation, and ongoing treatment. We strive to help our clients recover compensation for their past, current, and future medical expenses related to their injuries.
Lost Wages: When injuries from an accident prevent individuals from working, they may be entitled to compensation for the wages they have lost. This includes both the income they missed out on during their recovery period and potential future earnings if their injuries have a long-term impact on their ability to work.
Pain and Suffering: Personal injuries can cause physical pain, emotional distress, and a diminished quality of life. Compensation for pain and suffering aims to provide monetary relief for these intangible losses. Calculating pain and suffering damages requires careful evaluation of the severity of the injuries, their impact on the individual’s daily life, and other relevant factors.
Property Damage: In accidents such as car crashes, property damage can occur to vehicles or other personal belongings. Compensation may be available to cover the costs of repairing or replacing damaged property.
Loss of Consortium: If the injuries sustained in a personal injury accident negatively impact a person’s relationship with their spouse or family members, they may be eligible for compensation for loss of consortium. This may include the loss of companionship, affection, support, or the inability to engage in certain activities with loved ones.
Punitive Damages: In some cases, if the at-fault party’s conduct was particularly reckless or malicious, punitive damages may be awarded. These damages are meant to punish the responsible party and deter similar behavior in the future.
It is important to note that every personal injury case is unique, and the specific compensation available will depend on the specific facts and circumstances. At Schehr Law, PLLC, we are committed to thoroughly evaluating each case, identifying all potential areas of compensation, and diligently advocating for our client’s rights. Our goal is to help our clients obtain the maximum compensation possible for their injuries and losses.
The different types of Personal Injury damages:
Damages to Vehicle
Property damage is certainly recoverable after an accident. Generally, if your property is damaged during an incident, you are entitled to have it fixed or covered. With regards to auto accidents, insurance companies will determine the value of your car based on the fair market value of your specific vehicle model.
Sometimes this determination may seem unfair. Hiring an experienced Charlotte personal injury attorney can help in ensuring that your property damage is covered. Other things such as GAP insurance may help if you owe a car loan that is more than the fair market value of your vehicle.
It can be daunting to begin receiving medical bills after you have been the victim of a negligent act. Another word for medical bills in the legal field is “special damages.” These are damages that are computable and justifying. After an accident, it is imperative that you get the help you need immediately in order to avoid issues with insurance. Most medical bills are recoverable unless it is determined that the treatment was not necessary or there was a gap in treatment. Experienced attorneys know how to handle these distasteful insurance tactics.
Economic loss in other words means lost wages and future lost income. This is another type of damage that is computable and justifying. In order to prove lost wages or future lost earnings, one must show the work they have missed due to the accident or that you will lose money in the future due to your injuries. Several types of evidence can be collected by your attorney to prove these damages.
Pain And Suffering
Pain and suffering, or otherwise, non-economic damages, are damages that are paid to compensate an injured person for their suffering. Pain and suffering can include, but it is not limited to, mental anguish, emotional distress, embarrassment, loss of consortium, and other related damages.
It is extremely important to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer in Charlotte, NC that can help calculate your pain and suffering.
Punitive damages are available in a select few cases and are dependent on the facts of each case. These damages are used to punish the bad acts of the Defendant. The policy behind punitive damages is to encourage Defendant to stop the reckless and wanton behavior going forward. Punitive damages are usually sought in drunk driving accidents where the Defendant was under the influence and injured a person or property.
In North Carolina, punitive damages are generally capped at three times the amount of damages. However, in certain cases such as a DWI, punitive damages are not capped at a limit. Rather, a jury will determine the punitive damage amount.
Personal Injury Laws In Charlotte, North Carolina
In Charlotte, North Carolina, personal injury laws are primarily governed by the state’s statutes and case law. While I can provide general information, it’s important to consult with a qualified attorney to get accurate and up-to-date advice specific to your situation. Here are some key aspects of personal injury laws in Charlotte, North Carolina:
- Statute of Limitations: There is a time limit, known as the statute of limitations, within which you must file a personal injury lawsuit. In North Carolina, the statute of limitations for most personal injury cases is three years from the date of the injury. Failing to file a lawsuit within this time frame may result in your claim being barred.
- Contributory Negligence: North Carolina follows the doctrine of contributory negligence. Under this principle, if the injured party is found even partially responsible for the accident or injury, they may be barred from recovering any compensation. This means that if you are found to be even 1% at fault for the accident, you may not be able to recover damages. It is essential to consult with a lawyer who can evaluate your case and provide guidance on how this doctrine may apply.
- Damage Caps: North Carolina does not impose caps on economic damages, such as medical expenses and lost wages, in personal injury cases. However, there is a cap on non-economic damages, including pain and suffering, which is currently set at $500,000 in most cases. There are exceptions to this cap for cases involving certain severe injuries.
- Insurance Requirements: North Carolina follows a fault-based system for auto insurance. This means that the at-fault driver is responsible for compensating the injured party for their damages. In North Carolina, drivers are required to carry liability insurance coverage that meets the state’s minimum requirements.
- Premises Liability: In premises liability cases, property owners have a duty to maintain their premises in a reasonably safe condition. If someone is injured due to a hazardous condition on someone else’s property, they may be able to pursue a premises liability claim. However, it is essential to establish that the property owner knew or should have known about the dangerous condition and failed to address it.
It’s important to note that personal injury laws can be complex, and they may vary depending on the specific circumstances of your case. Consulting with a personal injury lawyer in Charlotte, North Carolina, will help ensure that you understand your rights and legal options based on the most up-to-date information.
Charlotte Personal Injury Law FAQs
How Long Do I Have to Bring a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
In North Carolina, you have three (3) years from the date of the accident to bring your lawsuit. The law changes to two (2) years when the suit is for a wrongful death case. It is extremely important that these dates are met or you risk not being able to recover from your injuries. An experienced attorney in Charlotte, NC will be able to ensure that the statute of limitations date is met and your claim can live on.
Why is Assessing the Types of Personal Injury Damages Important?
The reason why assessing different types of personal injury cases is so essential is that everyone’s case and level of suffering are different. For example; some people can suffer a personal injury, that is simply a sprain or strain, due to a work accident. However, personal injuries can be more severe and range from injured spines due to slipping on floors, concessions, and more. With that said, a person liable for the personal injuries of another may be liable for several different types of damages.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer at Schehr Law, PLLC?
We offer a free initial consultation to assess your case. Our firm works on a contingency fee basis, which means you only pay legal fees if we successfully recover compensation for you. Our fees are a percentage of the settlement or award obtained on your behalf.
How long do I have to file a personal injury lawsuit in Charlotte, NC?
In North Carolina, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is generally three years from the date of the injury. However, it’s crucial to consult with a lawyer promptly as certain circumstances may affect the filing deadline.
How much is my personal injury claim worth?
The value of a personal injury claim varies depending on factors such as the severity of injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and the impact on your daily life. During our consultation, we will assess your case and provide an estimation of its potential value based on the available information.
Will I have to go to court for my personal injury case?
Many personal injury cases are resolved through negotiations and settlements with insurance companies, eliminating the need for court proceedings. However, if a fair settlement cannot be reached, we are prepared to take your case to trial and advocate for your rights in court.
How long does it take to resolve a personal injury claim?
The duration of a personal injury case can vary based on its complexity and whether it goes to trial. Some cases can be settled within a few months, while others may take years. Rest assured that we will work diligently to resolve your case as efficiently as possible while ensuring your best interests are protected.
What if I am partially at fault for the accident?
North Carolina follows the doctrine of contributory negligence, which means that if you are found even slightly at fault for the accident, you may be barred from recovering compensation. We will carefully evaluate the circumstances and work to establish liability and minimize any allegations of fault against you.
Can I still pursue a personal injury claim if I was injured in a hit-and-run accident?
Yes, it is still possible to pursue a personal injury claim even if the at-fault party in a hit-and-run accident is unidentified. We can help explore options such as uninsured motorist coverage and other avenues to seek compensation for your injuries.
Charlotte Personal Injury Statistics
According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation, in Charlotte, NC in 2021 there were 30,057 auto accidents involving a non-fatal injury. A Charlotte, NC personal injury lawyer knows the ins and outs of these types of cases. Personal injury law is complex and should not be navigated without experienced help.
Schehr Law, PLLC Charlotte Personal Injury Lawyer
101 N McDowell St., Unit 200, Charlotte, NC 28204
Charlotte Personal Injury Lawyer Google Review
“Schehr Law handled my personal injury case and I highly recommend Chris. He was easy to get a hold of and he guided me through the recovery process. It was a difficult time in my life and he made the process manageable and maximized my settlement. I will definitely call Chris if injured again.” – Brody F.
Consult Our Experienced Charlotte Personal Injury lawyer
It is important to contact a personal injury lawyer in Charlotte, NC as soon as possible after an accident. If you have been injured in an accident, it is best to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. An experienced attorney will be able to collect your medical records, and loss wage evidence, calculate your pain and suffering, and make a competent evaluation of your case.
Our mission and belief is that anyone and everyone should have equal access to high-quality legal representation. That is why we created the No Fee Guarantee. We ensure that if we cannot recover compensation for you, we will not take a fee. This guarantee is straightforward. Although you may see some attorneys advertising that their fee is free, you may still end up with a bill if you decide to terminate the attorney-client relationship. We are so confident in our relationships with clients that we do not bill if the relationship is decided to be terminated by either party.
North Carolina is a contributory negligence state. This means that if you are found to be one percent (1%) at fault for your own injuries, you will be barred from all recovery. Given this, it is necessary to hire an experienced Charlotte personal injury lawyer from Schehr Law, PLLC to help fight potential liability issues. Give us a call today.
I will always take the option of going to trial if the need arises. In these cases, a victim will need to show that the party responsible for their injuries acted negligently in causing the accident. Negligence is a legal term that describes the appropriate precautions that apply to any given situation. Drivers are expected to obey traffic rules and stay alert to their surroundings, while stores and restaurants are supposed to clean spills and maintain their property for customers.
After proving that the defendant failed to meet the applicable standard of care, the plaintiff will need to show that the accident was a foreseeable result of the defendant’s carelessness. This issue of causation is important because victims will not be able to recover compensation if they were in any way responsible for the accident. An experienced personal injury attorney at our Charlotte office can help you assess your claim and gather evidence that places the fault for your injuries where it belongs.
If you have an injury because of the negligence of another person then you can make your claim of personal injury. After the injury has taken place, contact Schehr Law immediately after the occurrence. We will assess if you are eligible to claim personal injury or not. You might be liable to compensation based on the type of your injury. In some cases, you may get a damages payment that will ensure that all your cost is covered to get you back to the state that you were in before your accident, by the offender.
Your personal injury lawyer will evaluate the specific situation that you are in. There are various types of accidents and all accidents are different from each other. The entire process takes some time so get in touch with your insurers and collect all the medical evidence to make your case stronger.
Not only will I work tirelessly to retrieve a settlement or a win at trial, but I will negotiate with medical providers and insurance companies to reduce your medical bills. Reducing your bills will increase your settlement recovery.
"As a fellow professional in the area, I highly recommend Chris Schehr as an attorney. He has been very helpful to my clients as a resource for their personal injury, criminal, and immigration needs. In my experience with Chris, he is especially skilled with clients in car accident related cases."
Send Us A Message
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to send us a message. We aim to reply within 24 hours.
* Note: I am available via email and phone anytime after hours. Free consultations apply to personal injury and criminal law cases. Immigration defense is subject to a consultation fee which will be applied towards your retainer if you chose to retain.